Today is an important day for Classic LifeCare and all Canadians. National Day for Truth and Reconciliation is an opportunity to show your interest, respect and pursuit of learning regarding indigenous people and the impacts of Residential schools.
We feel inspired, and we hope you do too, to take action and educate yourself about Residential schools and Indigenous cultures. The following links are a good place to start:
- Here’s the call to action from the T&R commission: https://ehprnh2mwo3.exactdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Calls_to_Action_English2.pdf
- Here’s a resource where people can find indigenous owned businesses to support in their communities: https://shopfirstnations.com/locations/
- Here is the residential school survivors society: https://www.irsss.ca/home
- Here are some resources for anyone in crisis: https://www.irsss.ca/faqs/how-do-i-reach-the-24-hour-crisis-line
You can also:
- Read fiction and non-fiction by indigenous authors. Indigo has a section for this, and many other book stores do too;
- Watch films made by indigenous film makers; and
- Attend events in your community that are lead by indigenous elders and groups.